The annual Rathgar Residents Association Front Garden Competition was held this year for the first time since 2019. The prizes were presented at the annual Rathgar Horticultural Society show in Christ Church Hall
The Association is grateful to the Society for including our event each year.
Many thanks also to this year’s sponsors:
Rathgar Pharmacy, Iconic Beauty, Bijou Restaurant and the Chairperson
It was great to see the gardens of Rathgar looking so well
Congratulations to this year’s winners!
- Best garden in bloom (John Alexander, Rostrevor Road)
- Best specimen tree (Audrey Turley, Terenure Road East)*
- Best flower pot/window box/container (Jim Trueick, Garville Avenue)
- Best small garden (Claire Lynch, Grosvenor Road
- Best large garden (Julie Hopkins, Kenilworth Square)
- Overall winner (Dixon Cup) (Kate Crone, Kenilworth Square).
*The Association notes with grave concern that this tree, a large, beautiful copper beech, is still at risk under the proposed BusConnect plan.
This year was the 50th anniversary of first presentation of the Dixon Cup in 1972 The Competition, however, is about much more than awarding prizes. It is about celebrating the heritage of the village and how much we have to celebrate and preserve. It is also about encouraging everyone – residents, businesses and other organizations in the public and private sectors – to protect and promote the gardens and the main features of Rathgar to ensure that they are presented in the best possible way.